The Kennedy Center has over three decades of experience providing in-home homemaking and personal care services for elders and disabled adults. Our services provides critical supports that elders need to continue living independently in their home or apartment. Many of the seniors receiving these service reside in Charlestown but the agency serves the greater Boston area and surrounding cities.
To learn more about the services offered visit our Homemaker and Personal Care pages. We accept a variety of different payment methods, please contact [email protected] to discuss your service and payment options.
Beyond homemaking and personal care the Kennedy Center also provides Charlestown seniors recreational activities, exercise programs (senior aerobics, Zumba Gold, senior swim, Tai Chi), transportation to medical appointments, medical support services, a weekday lunch program, translation services, weekly singing groups, day trips, health screenings, health education training, healthy eating classes, food distribution services, and more. A substantial majority (95% or more) of the seniors that participate in these activities are living on fixed income that met the Federal Government’s definition of low income.
The Kennedy Center operates a Senior Day Center (senior drop in site) Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the Robert E. Gerogine Towers, located at 100 Ferrin Street in Charlestown. The Senior Day Center has been funded by the City of Boston (Title III B Funding) for the past seventeen (17) years. The majority of the services are provided at the Ferrin Street site but we do provide some services at our Community Resources Center (CRC) which is located at 55 Bunker Hill Street in Charelstown and at other community locations including the Charlestown YMCA.
A representative listing of services provided:
- Daily (M-F) nutritional lunches from Kit Clark
- Daily social activities
- Monthly educational speakers
- Monthly health screenings and health education presentations
- Case management services
- Translation & interpretation services in Spanish, English, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
- Pickup and delivery of prescriptions medications for isolated, frail, and home bound elders
- Assistance with transportation for medical appointments
- Monthly trips to local shopping malls and recreational events are provided.
- Weekly Fair Foods distribution program
- Cooking and healthy eating classes.
- Heating fuel assistance application processing
- Emergency support service referrals
- Health screening/services and health services referrals
- Weekly senior exercise programs
- Access to a computer lab and computer training